MyLanguageExchange Review & Alternatives
What is MyLanguageExchange
MyLanguageExchange is a language conversation exchange online where fellow language learners can meet, connect, and converse in their target language. While the website offers various tools such as text chats, bulletin boards, lesson plans, and more, the primary purpose of using MyLanguageExchange is to converse with others.
MyLanguageExchange claims to boast over 3M users from 133 countries around the world, and offers 113 different languages you can choose from. Here is a visual screenshot of how the website looks today.
How MyLanguageExchange Works
As we mentioned, the main benefit of the platform seems to be finding other conversation partners that can speak your target language. This means that if you speak English, and want to learn Spanish; then you’ll need to find someone that can speak Spanish fluently wanting to learn English.
The reason why this pairing is important is because there has to be a mutually beneficial relationship in order for the lessons to sustain. Given that the conversation meetings are free for both parties, there should be an incentive for the relationship to last.The good news is, as long as you happen to know a fairly popular language (i.e. English), and you want to find someone that can speak anoth er popular language (i.e. Spanish), you should be fine.
There are two core aspects to using MyLanguageExchange or any conversation exchange for that matter:
- Live conversations (online or in-person)
We’ve seen pros and cons of both. The major benefit to sticking with messaging is that you can do it on your own time (within reason). Meaning, there’s no need to schedule a time for the conversation exchange, and you can talk to them like you would text a friend. The downside to this is that you don’t get to practice your oral speaking skills in your target language, as you would in a live conversation.
For live conversations, you could just reverse the pros and cons. But let’s dig deeper into the advantages and disadvantages of conversation exchanges in general to give you a fuller context.
Why use MyLanguageExchange?
To dig into the reasons of why you may use a conversation, let’s explore the pros and cons of both.
Pros of using a conversation exchange
- Learn anywhere – Since all you need is a laptop, tablet, or smartphone with you to use a conversation exchange online, you can learn on-the-go.
- Learn on your own schedule – Flexibility is one of the most important things when you’re learning a new skill. The majority of us are dedicating time outside of our regular schedule (i.e. work, school, family), having the convenience of learning around your busy schedule can make or break your commitment.
- Free – For those who are on a budget, the major advantage of using a conversation exchange like MyLanguageExhange is the price. It’s free!
Cons of using a conversation exchange
- Time consuming – While you get the advantage of learning on your own schedule, the time you have to invest in finding the right partner is difficult. First you’ll need to get in contact with someone who knows your target language and wants to learn a language you’re fluent in. Second, you have to schedule a time that works for both of you. With timezone differences and busy lifestyles, it can be very time consuming to find the right partner.
- Lack of personal engagement – Since most people are using MyLanguageExchange via text, there is not as much engagement you’ll experience. This is especially true if you want to improve your speaking skills.
- Lack of motivation – You get what you pay for. Given that neither you or your conversation partner has the financial incentive to continue practicing, you or your partner will likely lose motivation over time. If you happen to stay motivated but your partner loses motivation, then it’ll require you to respend that time to find a new partner.
Alternatives to MyLanguageExchange
OK, so now that you’ve learned the pros and cons of using MyLanguageExchange, you may be wondering: ‘what are the alternatives?’ We’ll go over this with you.
Private language teachers
Learning a new language with a private tutor has been around for ages. But with the modern way of taking language lessons online, you can reap the benefits of learning faster while saving you time. With Rype, we introduced a simple pricing model to make it even more seamless for our members to focus on taking language lessons, and less on how much they need to pay. Moreover, studies show that live immersion can be up to 5-10x more effective than traditional language methods.
Language learning apps
Dozens of language learning apps are out there online, mostly via mobile format. While each offer different specializations, the majority of language learning apps online focus on helping you grasp the basics of vocabulary, grammar, and some pronunciation. These language apps can often be complementary tools to your regular lessons with your private language teachers.
Audio courses and programs
Audio CD programs can be another option if you prefer the option of listening to your target language while you’re driving. However, it can be a high upfront cost that may go outdated after a few years.
Conversation exchange partners
Also known as tandem partners, conversation exchanges give you access to potential partners that you can practice with. More often that not, your partner will be learning your native language, and you’ll be learning their native language. This way, there’s a mutual benefit for both parties since you won’t be exchanging financial payments.
Youtube videos and podcasts
There are many great resources that can help you learn a language online using Youtube and podcasts. While it may not be the comprehensive learning program that you would receive from a private teacher or language school, it can still be useful. We recommend using these free language learning resources as a complementary method or a way to dip your feet into the pool.
Learn a language online with Rype
Rype can help you learn a language faster, on your time. With research pointing to the effectiveness of learning with a private teacher, we’ve been able to retain the power of live immersion while removing the friction. As a member of Rype, you’ll be able to:
- Gain exclusive access to handpicked and pre-vetted teachers that have been interviewed live via 1-on-1 video
- Book and enjoy lessons from anywhere you are in the world (no commuting)
- Learn a language at anytime of the day, any day of the week
- Pay a fraction of the cost you would pay at a traditional in-person language
- Improve your speaking skills faster (and retain more information)
- Join an exclusive community of fellow language learners and ambitious go-getters
- Start with a risk-free trial
If you still have any questions about how Rype works or want to share any feedback, feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org. Activate your risk-free trial now and start learning a new language online today.